vendredi, octobre 31, 2008

sayang? cinta? aimer? love? querer?

I haven't been a good girl lately. I've been very lazy. I enjoy going to gym much more than going to class. So unlike me, isn't it? Back in high school, I'd skipped anything that involved physical activities. I gave so many excuses, but I was lucky because I was a member of the school orchestra. So, whenever we have sports day preparation and everyone had to run to collect points for the team, I used ochestra as an excuse, for example : "We have orchestra practice today". Oh, the good old days. I miss performing on stage. =( And I have really good memories being in the school orchestra.

Well, that's not exactly what I want to talk about. I called Mama last night, I kind of missed talking to her. The first question she asked me was; "Malam ni keluar pergi mana lagi?" LOL. She must've notice that I've been out nearly every night, with Ieqa and friends. We dined, danced and partied! I'm too busy having fun to actually care about anything else. LOL. This seriously has to stop. I need to concentrate more on my studies. And oh, I might be signing up for salsa lesson next week. I don't really want to start this semester, but my friend begged me to join her, along with yoga. And she also wants to join me at the gym. So my days are going to be filled with activities! At least by next summer, I could cross some things off my 25-things-I-want-to-do before-I turn-25-list.

OK, I'm ready to talk about something else. You know what people said about 'I love you' being the most misused phrase in the English language? I, somehow think, that it is quite true. I, myself have been misusing it, until I don't really feel the actual feeling when saying it. And of course, the different spellings of these three words also bother me. Eg : luv, lahf, laff, etc. For me, writing 'I love you' without spelling it correctly, will bring a different meaning altogether to the words. Yeah, I'm pretty fussy about the spelling. Like, if you wrote 'luv' instead of 'love', it will simply have a similar meaning to 'like'. So, instead of saying you love a person, you're giving out the impression that you just actually like him/her.

The same goes for 'Je t'aime', in French. It comes from the verb 'aimer' which has a double meaning : to like and to love. And if you add 'bien' at the end of the phrase; 'Je t'aime bien', it means 'I really like you'. See, how one simple word can change the whole meaning of a phrase? This verb can also be used in describing what you like or love to do. Eg :J'aime lire (I like to read). In Spanish, the verb 'querer' also has a double meaning, to like and to love. But it cannot be used in the latter one, describing what you like or love to do. The verb gustar is used instead. Eg : Me gusta leer (I like to read).

And do you know in which language does the meaning of like and love is expressed in two different words? MALAY! Yeah. 'saya suka awak' does not mean 'saya sayang awak'. Suka and sayang are two totally different words which also have different meanings. You can use suka to talk about something or someone you like but sayang can only be used for the ones you love. Eg : Saya sayang kucing saya. And you cannot say, saya sayang baca buku because it doesn't sound right. The verb sayang can only be used towards the people you love. Malay is a beautiful language afterall, right? So, if you really love someone and want to express your sincere feelings without the person misunderstand what you're trying to say, why don't you use 'saya sayang awak' or better yet, 'saya cinta awak' (but that's way too jiwang!). Because, these three words have never fail to put a smile on my face when someone said them to me. =) It might put a smile on your face as well.

For me, the phrase 'saya sayang awak' has a much more sincere meaning. I don't know how you guys feel about the phrase. But, yesterday, I went to bed smiling just because someone said these words to me and waking up to it is better than anything, it reminds me that I'm still loved by some people. Isn't it wonderful what language can do to you? It transforms the whole meaning of a simple phrase. Language is amazing, don't you think? Anyways, I have to go now. I need to get ready. I have a theme party to attend tonight. Until then! Toodles!~

Juliette xx

Listening to : Calling You - Outlandish

10 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

me too. tak suke org yg suka tuka2 ejaan nih. haha. bukan nye susah pn nak eja kn? huhu.

p/s : i think that guy da buktikan kat u yg he's not gay. haha.
:D

have fun there teapot. :)

Adwina a dit…

off topic.

lynn, i tried adding u up dkt new blog list where they update the latest entry tu. tp dia ckp ur page takde rss feeder apa ntah, so takleh update. nape ek?

Papasan Carwash a dit…

hehe..I remember those good ol days when we used to tell 'em bitches that we hv orchestra practice and cannot make it to the sport training.. :P~

too bad for me that my BF cannot speaks Malay language.. but he always say "merindui saya..?"
hehe..dunt knw where he learnt it.

Anyway babe..am so jealous you are going to register urself to the salsa class. I've been trying to find a dance class that is near to my house since..forever.. but cant seems to find it, well at least not yet. I'll keep on tryin tho..

Have fun loosing weight ya! =)

Anonyme a dit…

saya suka dan sayang seseorang itu. ha. bagaimana tu cikgu?

i've been told by this one motivator, when you spell LOVE instead of LOV. it shows that you really meant it. E for eternity.

:)

Anonyme a dit…

you bloody shocked me moi!!!

are u sick? are u taking drugs? or steroids?

sejak bila suka berpeluh niiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

mesti ada eye candy byk tu kan kat gym. la la.

eh. hey i pun sayang u apa! n i love tapai too :p

zizou a dit…

>>..<<

GurL-FriDay a dit…

lalaland : betul. tak suka org eja tak betul. ye lah tak gay, kan kan? *hugs*

ad : probably because i dont let search engines find my blog kot. nanti i check balik. i dont know what the rss feed tu stands for pun.

shawty : i miss the orchestra days, a lot! i haven't touched a viola since i left bainun! huhu. haa, teach your bf some malay la so he can call you sayang. macam sweet je. :D thanks, babe. you too have fun losing weight. ;-)

shahril : suka and sayang. hm. they can definitely go together. tapi kalau you cakap suka je, tak semestinya sayang kan? yeah, that's what i feel about luv, takde E. E is clearly for eternity. =) thanks for the info.

wan : haha. i smell sarcasms! lol. yeay! you sayang i! :D oh me also love tapai. suka sangat! balik, bawak i makan tapai banyak² ok! and also, apa benda tu, satah? sata? and apa lagi? lada solok? ye ke? i tak tahu apa benda. yang satu lori you nak kasi i makan nanti tu? lol!

zizou : hello. =)

Anonyme a dit…

oh btw. u tak sayang i ke yana? hahaha

GurL-FriDay a dit…

shahril : u sayang i tak? kalau u sayang i, i sayang u lah! i sayang orang yang sayang i, boleh tak gitu? =P

farida tarmize a dit…

i sayang u

hahhah...hw bout word adorer in french?
i got confuse sometimes
i'm gonna miss french after this
sbb sem ni last blaja french

wish i could fined a book or whatever to learn french more