dimanche, février 28, 2010

RIP Aunty Anna

++Aunty Zah, Aunty Anna, Mama & Sandra (during Najib's visit to Cherbourg 2005)++

Seven years, for some, it's probably too long a time to stay at a foreign place. Seven years, is it time to go back yet? Way too many things happened within these seven years. Also, during this period, we lost two very dear friends of the family, in a small town called Cherbourg. The first one was late Uncle Mus in 2004. It was heartbreaking for he just had a baby, Elissa, back then three months old. She grew up not knowing her daddy in flesh and blood. But life goes on.

Until this recent Friday, another shocking, sad news hit Malaysians in Cherbourg, and those who used to live there. Another soul was taken away, this time, it's Aunty Anna. A Malaysian Chinese who had been residing in Cherbourg for at least 20 years now. She, with her husband, own a bakery at the center of the town. She was the one to give me my first Summer job ever. She had helped our family to settle in Cherbourg. She was so nice to us. We all thought she was a Catholic or an Atheist, until our trip to Brest in 2008, MamAbah, Aunty Anna and I, she finally revealed that she's actually a Muslim. We were surprised. She told us she got married at PERKIM. She said it was hard being the only Malaysian in Cherbourg before this, there was nobody to guide her to the right path of Islam and she was happy when the Submarine Project Team finally came to Cherbourg.

She was really close with us, whenever we went to town, we'd stop by at her bakery. She'd give us magazines and books and patisseries. My parents loved her as well, they never forget to bring stuffs for her whenever they came back from Malaysia. She's always invited to every gathering we had. She's a very happy person, a strong lady as well, considering her marriage was on the rocks. She's separated from her husband not long ago. She's her family's backbone. She's the one who kept everything together. She had been a great aid to most of the families here. Mama was thinking of giving her jelly powder but she told Mama she was going to go back in February, so Mama thought they might as well meet in Malaysia, but I guess it will never happen. She said she couldn't go back because of financial reason. (T__T)

And on Friday morning, we received the shocking news from Ieqa's friend, Anabel. It was unbelievable. We were astounded! I texted MamAbah to tell them the sad news. Mama's reply was, 'Innalillah, terkejut Mama dengar berita ni.' Yes, very shocking indeed. Mama asked us to call her but we were not at home, so we told her we'd call her as soon as we got home. Aunty Mas called me not long afterwards to confirm the news. She said she'd be going to Cherbourg. I regret not seeing her when I was in Cherbourg last week. She died of cardiac arrest, and the saddest part was, she died in front of her children, early Friday morning. Sandra and Tantan must've been traumatized to see it happened before their very own eyes. I can only convey my condolences. I couldn't say much because I'd be lying if I said I undertand what they're going through for I certainly don't.

Her funeral will be conducted on Tuesday. Her body will be cremated. I know for us Muslims, dead bodies are not allowed to be burned because we have our specific rites, but as Mama said, we can't do much as it's her family's wish. They're waiting for her sisters to arrive from Malaysia. Her ashes will be brought back to Malaysia by Sandra and Tantan to be spread there. Unfortunately, I cannot attend the funeral, class and work on Tuesday. I hope you'll rest in peace, Aunty Anna. You'd been a wonderful friend to all of us. You will be sorely missed. May Allah bless your soul. Al-Fatihah (;_;)/~~~

Juliette xx

p/s : Al-Fatihah untuk Adik Syafiah Humaira. Better off without your oblivious mother and her cruel boyfriend. May you also rest in peace.

Listening to : -

3 commentaires:

Mariella Liyana a dit…

Babe...
OMG, I'm so moved by the late Aunt Anna's story.
Though i do not know her at all...but I can imagine how she was like before she passed on...a strong lady, that is...

Anyway, so sad to know that she'll be cremated. Her family tak tau ke she has converted?

Anonyme a dit…

innalillahwainnalillahirrajiun...
moga roh aunty anna dicucuri rahmat..

GurL-FriDay a dit…

lyana : babe, her husband is a muslim as well taw. french la tapi. but non-practicing and her kids are atheist kot, i'm not sure. i guess it should be up to her husband to decide kan since he knows they're both muslims semua, but her daughter said they're non-practicing muslims, so i guess sbb tu they decided to have her cremated. complicated kan.

irma : insyaAllah. huhu.